Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Notes for next winter

Here are some notes from my winter garden, to remember for next year:

1. Cabbage - the green cabbage didn't form heads - I think it was planted too late. In any case, we still haven't even finished the 6 red cabbages that I planted, so I don't think I'll need to plant 12 next year.

2. Turnips - I planted these twice, and probably didn't need so many. Next year, select an area and plant half first, then the other half, and then stop! Thin them! It makes such a huge difference.

3. Carrots - Haven't actually eaten any of them yet, but they are looking good. Keep them WELL weeded in the beginning, and they are pretty much no work later on. They probably need to be thinned, too. I only planted one main area and a smaller second area - I can probably plant quite a bit more of them next year.

4. Beets - Plant a lot more next year, and thin them for sure. And of course weed them, too.

5. Cauliflower and broccoli - went well this year. Could probably plant more cauliflower instead of cabbage - it's more useful .

6. Leeks - thin them. Mine are too close together. Might not be worth growing, I don't know b/c we haven't tried them yet. I'm getting curious, so I think we're going to have to try some soon.

7. Spinach - I guess plant more next year. I'm not really sure what to do about it. The chard is finally big enough to eat, and now it's really too big.

8. Garlic and shallots - going well. Probably could have planted them closer together, but overall they look really good.

9. Kale and other greens - need to plant earlier next year.

10. Lettuce - things went great. Lasted all winter, and now I probably will pull them out to make space for tomatoes, and maybe put in a heat-tolerant variety. Maybe I'll put them in pots in the backyard?

No comments: