Sunday, April 27, 2008

The beginning of canning season


Yesterday we bought a flat of strawberries at the farmer's market. I didn't really realize how much a flat is. I made 8 jars of jam this morning and barely made a dent. I think we're going to have to get creative to use these all up before they go bad. I'm considering making a few pies, and trying to freeze them, and Loris wants to make milkshakes (don't get too excited now, his version doesn't contain ice cream).

Making the jam was interesting, since I haven't done any canning since last summer and I really wasn't ready. First, I forgot how much sugar those jams need! It's really incredible, I can't believe that much sugar will dissolve into that small amount of fruit and juice! Turns out that I had barely enough, so I went ahead. Then I had to go and find my jelly jars, which are all mixed in with my regular jars - I guess I'll need to get a better system for that.

It wasn't until after I got started that I realized that maybe I should check to see if I have new lids. Whew, thank goodness, I did. But where are all my canning supplies? After a frantic search, I found everything, remembered the process, and managed to pull it all together. I can hear the lids popping now as they're cooling on the counter. The jam is beautiful, a translucent deep red color. I can't wait to try it.

No comments: