Saturday, November 29, 2008

Turkey stock/soup

Despite the fact that I have been (was?) a vegetarian for about 10 years, I would rather eat meat than see it go to waste. I hate wasting food. I volunteered to cook the turkey for this year's Thanksgiving (I used this recipe to brine it, and it turned out fantastically), and my sister picked it up for me. We made sure to get local and organic, and I actually got a slightly smaller bird than recommended, because I figured with all the side dishes and desserts, people didn't need a huge amount of turkey.

That worked out pretty well - we ate all the turkey that was easily accessible when carved, and just now I managed to save about another heaping plate full that was more difficult to pick off the bones. Last year, I saved the carcass to make soup. I made a really thick, concentrated broth which Loris loved just the way it was, so that's what we ate. Unfortunately, I don't know where I got the recipe from.

This year, I'm using this recipe (with a slight variation), and the soup is cooking away on the stove right now. Here's what I did:

1. I stripped as much meat from the turkey as I could, then put the bones, neck, and giblets into a large pot.

2. I covered everything with cold water and turned the heat to high.

3. I added 3carrots (chopped into 2-inch pieces), 3 ribs of celery (likewise), and 2 onions (cut into quarters or sixths, with the skin).

4. Then I added several hands-full of fresh parsley, some bay leaves, a tablespoon of peppercorns, and some dried thyme.

Now I'm going to let it boil down for a while. When it's about an hour from being done (or so), I might add some potatoes and turnips (fresh from the garden). When the stock is done, I'll strain it. We'll save the veggies for eating, throw away the carcass, and have the stock as a soup.

No comments: