Friday, February 6, 2009

Rain pants schmain pants

I really love being self-sufficient and living a car-free lifestyle. We've had rain for the last few days and I just can't bring myself to wake up my poor husband at 6:45 am to drive me to the train station.

Yesterday, I just got soaked - I really didn't realize how hard it was raining. Not that hard, actually, but riding for two miles I still got quite wet. Luckily I had packed an extra pair of pants, and made a mental note to buy a pair of rain pants.

Today it was raining again, and it suddenly occurred to me that I already have pants that are more or less water-proof (or water resistant) - my ski pants! They're not downhill ski pants, they're more like a stretchy water-resistant shell under which I normally wear long underwear. But for biking to the train, they're perfectly sufficient by themselves!

Of course, the train was 20 minutes late when I checked, and getting later by the minute, which foiled my plan. So I biked to the bus instead. And didn't totally embarrass myself by not being able to use the bike rack this time, too.

Ingenuity wins again!

No comments: