Monday, May 7, 2012

Garden beginnings, 2012

I planted the first plants in my vegetable garden today - 5 heirloom tomatoes, a yellow summer squash, and some basil. It's the first year of our new vegetable garden here at our house, and I'm quite excited. The garden is made up of 4 beds, about 8 feet by 13 feet each, which an automatic watering system. Two of the beds get full sun all day. One is reserved only for tomatoes, and I've dug deep furrows between three raised rows. One row will have around 10 heirlooms by the time I'm done, the other two will have 24 roma plants. The second full-sun bed will have 18-24 peppers, yellow and red, a green zucchini, a yellow zucchini, cucumbers, and basil. One part-sun bed will have eggplant (at least one dark purple and one lighter color), leeks, and green beans. I'm not so sure about growing leeks in this season, but it's worth a shot. I hope I can plant them soon. The last bed will have melons and winter squash. I'm still thinking about which kinds to plant - do I want to bother with carving pumpkins? We'll probably actually carve some pumpkins this year, so it might be worth it. We're planning to go to Italy in September, probably, so I don't know how that will affect the harvest. Hopefully I won't miss too much, after all this work!

No comments: