Thursday, August 30, 2012

Busy weekday

Today I'm making tomato sauce. All the tomatoes are from either my garden or my sister's, and I have enough for 10 jars. 4 are currently sterilizing, and I've got 6 more ready to go. Last time, I made 8 jars, and I think we still have at least 5-7 from last year, so I think we've got about 25 jars so far. I'll probably do another mini batch before the summer is over.

Today is actually a totally crazy day (but aren't they all?!) because tomorrow I'm leaving for a 2-night backpacking trip, for which I haven't started packing and I don't know where half my stuff is since I haven't been backpacking in years. I also ran 4.5 miles to keep up with marathon training, I'm prepping dinner, made a library run, and am doing laundry so the husband doesn't run out of clothes for the kids over the weekend.

The husband has been out of town for several days, leaving me at home with poor little Turtle who is unwilling to go to sleep in the evening these last two nights. He seems to be going through some sort of separation anxiety all of a sudden, not wanting me to leave his room in the evening. Last night, I tried everything I could think of - holding him, rocking him, singing to him, putting him in his crib and rubbing his back, nothing worked. In the end, I finally climbed into his crib and he relaxed and fell asleep. At 10:45. So that's when I finally go to start cleaning up after dinner and doing my evening chores. I didn't get to sleep until midnight, and then he woke up at 6:30. Needless to say, I'm tired.

When I dropped Turtle off at preschool this morning, he kept clinging to me and crying, which he hasn't done in weeks. Granted, he's not been THRILLED to be at preschool, but he's totally accepted it. It does sort of make me wonder when he comes running to me when I pick him up, crying "Mamma mamma mamma mamma, mia mamma, mia mamma." I don't know. It's rough. I'm worried about how he'll do without me this weekend. I've got jars sterilizing on the stove and peppers roasting in the oven, and I've got lots more to do today (besides finishing my iced coffee), so I'll hope for a better evening tonight with Turtle and get on with my day. Cheers!

No comments: