Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Cabbage soup

One problem with cabbage is that it generally all matures around the same time, and sometimes the heads can be quite big. So for several weeks (or months, depending on how much I plant), I often find myself trying to be creative in using up my cabbage.

I'm hoping to try making some sort of vegetarian stuffed cabbage sometime soon, but until then, I needed something simpler for the gigantic cabbage I've had in my fridge for about a week now. Loris usually slices cabbage very thin and cooks it on the stove with garlic or onions and plenty of vinegar, which is delicious, but I don't think I can eat that every week (or more than once a week!).

So yesterday I made some cabbage soup. It's actually Rustic Cabbage soup, with potatoes and beans, and you can find the recipe here. I was a little nervous about the flavor but I needn't have worried. It was delicious. Definitely add some parmesan cheese when you serve it, although it's very good without it as well. For just the two of us, we had a hearty meal last night (along with a salad and bread), enough for lunch today, and there's still a bit leftover.

The problem? There's still half of a cabbage in my fridge!

No comments: